Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Gayat

I am afraid of heights. Dalam bahasa melayu, I ni gayat. How bad is it? Ask Sherie. I just shrieked like a girl when it comes to height. I would just forget that I am a guy and I should be macho and cool about it. I am not cos heights just frightens me. I would break into cold sweat. My face will automatically turn white. Jadi pucat semacam. Although I do try to get over it but so far, I still can’t


I went on a ride at the Euro Fun Fair at One Utama recently. Well, honestly it was not my idea because I would rather be throwing darts at balloons, sitting down playing bingo or catching plastic ducks and hope I win more than just a plastic rose flower. It was my dear Sherie’s idea to go on “The Vector” because it looked fun. She said that she doesn’t mind us not going on the ride but I know she wants to go up and I wouldn’t let her go alone. I could see that her eyes were looking at “The Vector” and you could just see how she really wanted to go on it. For her, the adrenaline rush that she gets from being thrown up in the air with only straps holding you to ur seat is fun. Not my idea of fun. What if the straps were loose? What if the machine suddenly rosak and we are hanging for our dear life? Arghhh……I was sweating and having a nervous attack but I said “Takpe lah…kita naik lah. Maybe it would be fun”….


She was getting excited and I was getting intoxicated with the idea of being thrown up in the air. I was whiter than Mr White at that time. When they strapped me up and I was hanging in the air, I was saying “Ya Allah” non-stop. We were about maybe 60 to 70 feet in the air and then the machine just flipped. The seat was also flipping. I was hanging for for dear life and I was quiet. I was very quiet. I was closing my eyes and I was sweating…cold sweat. It was flipping violently and Sherie was actually shouting with joy. With delight. How? Why? I was holding on and hoping I wouldn’t be thrown 100 feet away and die and she was screaming and laughing. She was happy and enjoying it.


Those 15 minutes was something I would not want to endure again in the near future. I just want to make sure that my feet are always on the ground and never should it be hanging 70 feet on the air. I had a nightmare that night. I was screaming and woke up from my sleep and I was wet from my sweat. Does that make me any less a man? I don’t know but I hope one day I will get over my fear of heights..maybe joining Fear Factor would help? Well, I don’t know but that evening I was actually on a flight back to Kuching……

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone's got their pet peeves... Achilles was his heels, yours is height! Now you can proudly say, ala ala Joe Rogan, "Fear is not a factor for me anymore!"

:-)

Cosmic_GurL said...

What is it with men and rollercoasters? My bf is afraid of heights too! All I can say is what doesnt kill you will make you stronger :)

Desparil said...

i'm 'uncomfortable' with heights.. sometime. the weird thing is i lurve rollercoasters and the like.

Pink-Fins @ Blue-Fins said...

I go up a jetty oso I scared, ini kan to naik rollercoaster... brrrr I shudder just thinking about it..