Monday, December 05, 2005

All Aboard!!!!!

I was on board SS Seccom last Friday. It was a fun and thrilling ride. The passengers look elegant, beautiful, fun and lively. The entertainment was excellent, top class I must say. The food was good, not Raju’s good but it was fulfilling.

Actually I was not on board of some Titanic like ship or anything but I was attending my girlfriend’s annual dinner and the theme was “ Sun, Sea and SC”… don’t ask me what it means but basically it is about the beach I was told. It was held at Shangri La in KL. As it is a Friday and it is in KL, so kena lah rush to beat the traffic, so I ask my boss to release me a bit early. So I left around 5.50pm cos I am gonna met my girlfriend around 6.15pm. kena rush sebab some roads in KL are gonna be closed for the ASEAN Summit rehearsal. And knowing Hartamas, it is already jam by the time I leave.

When I drive masuk to SC I saw my Sherie’s car was in front of me. I parked beside her and ask her to wait cos I have to change to my “Beach” attire for the dinner. Honestly I was uncomfortable going to a dinner in a big hotel with obviously have air conditioners…..with SHORTS!!!!!! It is not like I shaved my sexy and manly legs u know.Yes, I was into the beach theme. I am wearing shorts to an annual dinner at Shangri La. But I ignore it and got change, like Superman, in the car….making sure I have my undies inside rather than outside like Mr. Kent. Considering I don’t have super speed like him, I got through the whole changing process reasonably fast. And off we go (Sherie is driving cos she thinks she can do it better, and trust me she can)

The traffic was bad. Well, bila lah masanya traffic in KL is ok kan especially on Friday. I’m not gonna tell you what jalan yang jam giler cos I don’t know but what I am sure it is jam giler. I think we were stuck in it for about an hour maybe. So on the way to the hotel, I just amuse myself by singing to the songs playing on the radio (I don’t dare to touch the radio cos 1st rule in my girlfriend’s car “Don’t touch the radio!!!! No one else is allowed to touch it except for me”) and create my own lyrics to the songs. And it irritates the hell out of my girlfriend especially when I dance to the tune…”Stop embarrassing me ok….people in the other car can see you”….but deep down inside she likes my dancing skills…hahahahaha…

Sampai hotel, we parked and making sure where we parked (cos I tend to mix up the location u know). At the lobby I was hoping to find someone else wearing shorts. The though of I am the only one, will not do good for my confidence. Sherie and I masuk ke lobi hotel and my eyes are still trying to search for that one guy wearing shorts but to my despair, no one in plain sight is actually wearing shorts….ARGHHHH!!!! When we came down to the waiting area, I was panicking. The guest were actually dress nicely. The men were wearing suits…….and LONG pants…oh no… I am in deep S#i#!!! Trying to run away would be no good now. “ Jom sayang, we register” said Sherie. I was walking like a zombie, my stomach was turning and I feel funny. Did she heard or read wrongly about the attire for the dinner?

But then, I saw them. I saw people wearing beach wear….I saw men in shorts, in sandals…wohoo….yes…yes…yes…I am not the only one. Hahahhaha…. I was actually
looking at the wrong crowd. There were another function on the same level and I was spared the blushes….fuh…what a relief. Everyone was talking and laughing, and me too, inside. When we registered they gave us a coupon to take a picture, the background was a beach I think with the sea, pokok kelapak ( as Marsha AF3 would have said), a ball, etc. took the picture and mingle around (well she did, I was just following her). After awhile we were called to come in and we’ve got one of the best table in the house ( good choice Erina). Honestly it sounds corny and not original and I am still thinking, if we are on a beach, why are we actually in a ship? Maybe I am too detail. I think there were about 50-60 tables in the hall so I assume there were about 500-600 people. Quite a big turnout. The backdrop for the stage was clever, it was the front of the ship, that “I am the King of the world” moment.

Suddenly that Titanic song by Celine Dion played. What is the name of the song….”My Heart Will Go On”…I think. Oh my kambing, it was so corny but hey, I am on a ship, “king of the world” backdrop…I just follow the flow u know…hehehehehe. The screen were actually playing clips from the movie and I am still trying to figure out if I am on beach or on a ship but again I chose to ignore it. The MC came out, it was Dee (from Jangan Ketawa fame) and she/he was wearing something that make she/he looks like Big Bird.

It was the usual boring speeches. After that, the prize giving ceremony I think for the in house sports. Habis je, comes my favourite part…….eating..hehehehe…dinner is served. Like I said, the food was good, not mind blowing head bursting good but it was ok. The nasi goreng could have been goreng better but overall I think my favourite on that nite was the chicken. I don’t know ayam masak apa, but it was good.

The MC, Dee, was a hit. I think I just refer Dee as SHE from now on. She made the nite fun, lively, tak kering gusi and she just don’t care. Her jokes were over the top, laser giler the mulut. But she was funny, very funny. I don’t know how many times did she change clothes but man…again…she was hilarious.

There were also the SC Idol…wohooo…..and the winner is actually base on votes by the guests. Cool. I never heard of it before cos most of the singings contest I join and saw semuanya ada so call professional judges. This is very creative and cool. A bit like those sms voting singing contest but this one is poor version of it. The committee dah letak kan this voting paper on the table and each person on the table get to vote for their favourite or who they think deserve to win. On our table, it was more like “Mawi World” kinda vote. Hahahaha……Fa is one one of the contestants, so even before she start singing, well, even before the dinner start pun the Xs’ were only in one row….Farah’s column….hahahahaha…Sherie took the responsibility to vote for Fa for everyone. Considering that they are not professional singers, all of the contestants did very well and talented indeed. Fa sang “ Hatiku telah Dilukai” by Kris Dayanti very well although I do think that she did not have enough practice on that song (I am just assuming). I think if she have more practice, she would be more comfortable with the song. She sang well but a bit shaky on some parts. She got second but she was great that nite. Tiada pengalah malam itu. I don’t know the other two contestants name but one of the guys sang “Azura” by Jamal Abdillah who eventually won though I do think he kinda screams a bit when singing and the other guy sang an M. Nasir song. Good showmanship but lack on the song delivery. But like I said before, considering they don’t do it full time, they did great.

Like any other annual dinner, the Lucky Draws are the highlite. I have never been lucky with lucky draws before, I never won anything. It changes last year when I won the washing machine during my last annual dinner with my old company. But somehow my luck change since than. I thought I use up my luck this year when I won the Bingo game masa the Euro Fun Fair at One Utama the other day. I hope my luck terlekat lah kat Sherie. She said she never won anything during any annual dinner. And what do u know; she actually won a portable DVD player that nite (now it is in my room..hehehe) and our table also won the lucky table. Wow….Zureen also won herself a watch masa lucky draw. So, our table that nite was quite lucky.

The nite ends with a splendid show by Jac Victor, the 1st Malaysian Idol. She was amazing. Her voice. I am having goosebumps now just thinking of her voice. She sang 4 songs that nite. “Jangan Tinggal Daku”, “When I Fall in Love”, “Di Bawah Pohon Asmara” and of course that song….”Gemilang”. Her mic control, her voice control, she just wow each and everyone of the guest. Amazing is not the word to describe her voice. I thought the most embarrassing moment that nite was over when I thought I was the only one wearing shorts but I was wrong. I was actually persuaded…well…diugut to go up to Jac and give her a flower…man….that was embarrassing enough…she actually ask me to sing a line from Gemilang before she wants to accept the flower….ARGGHHHH…so I sang…. The only thing in my head at that time was my friends are laughing their arse off at the table….luckily I am dark..kalau tidak..i think everyone can see how red my face was. Just because of a dvd player…oh god….

I had fun that nite. I think I never had gone to an annual dinner and actually just sit and enjoy the show. I was always in the committee and to enjoy would be out of the question. It was a nice experience actually to just sit back, laugh, eat, do stupid and embarrassing thing. Overall, a nite of fun, excellent entertainment…oopppss…..i almost forgot, there was a magic show by a guy name Aslam Roy or Asam Boy..i am not sure…but I guess u guys got an idea what I think of the show…forgettable... moving on…extra marks for the MC who was great, ok food…


ALL ABOARD SS SECCOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Cosmic_GurL said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cosmic_GurL said...

Ahem..very smart that gf of yours kan? Hahahahahaa