Friday, April 21, 2006

My Pick for the Moment

Last weekend, I bought an album from a new artist, Corinne Bailey Rae. I read good review about her album and once I heard her song, I knew I just have to get her album. I just love her voice. A breath of fresh air in the music industry filled with Hip Hop with song’s like “ In Love with a Stripper” hogging the air waves. Don’t get me wrong, I am into this hip hop scene, but something different for the ears are always welcome. And this lady 's music is God 's prescription for anyone who wants something different.

When I saw her album last weekend at Rock Corner 1 Utama, I just had to ask Sherie to listen to it. I know she is not into R&B and Soul too much but maybe she would listen to this one. I have bad records for recommending songs to her, so I could see that she was a bit skeptical about it. She listened to it anyways……… by the end of it, we are listening to the cd in her car…hehehehe.

Some of you might be go “ Who the heck is that?” but I guess most of you might have heard her first and hit single, “ Put Your Records On” which is getting a lot of play on the air waves and on MTV. Why am I writing or attempting to review her album? Well, for a simple fact there is no United match this weekend and I have got nothing else to write about. But seriously, I just wanted to let people who have not listened to her yet or may not be interested, to give her music a chance.

Her music is a mixed of soul, jazz, classic R&B and maybe just a dash of pop in some songs. She has a smoky tone of voice that really reminds you of the great Lady Day. She delivers each songs with such ease and I really recommend her album for that nice alone time in your garden or balcony with a cool breeze sweeping over your face . Most of the songs in the album are slow and easy with a lot of acoustic guitar and keyboard/piano being the main musical instruments. I like most of the songs in the album but my personal picks would be:

1) Like A Star – I love her voice in this song. A certain cuteness and innocent in her delivery connects well with the lyric and concept of the song. A woman coming to terms with her feelings and love.

2) Put Your Records On – Her first single from the album and getting a lot of air plays on radio and MTV. A happy and fun tune that makes you wants to groove to the beat…chewah. A good song to get your chin up when you are feeling down.

3) Trouble Sleeping – My theme song I guess…hahahaha. It starts with this lazy singing voice that picks up during the chorus. Another tune that makes you want get you boogey down….a slow one I mean.

If you a big fan of the great Lady Day or into the music of Sade, Norah Jones or Joss Stone, it is a must buy. Also recommended for those who wants a good “bed” time album…….highly recommended.

P/S : Chelsea or Liverpool? I don’t really care who win that semi final as long as the team they meet in the Final, Boro or West Ham, beat them. If I have to choose, I would rather have West Ham in the final just because it would be good to see the old horse Sheringham. I don’t know if he is gonna be the oldest player to feature in the final but it would be unbelievable kan?

6 comments:

Cosmic_GurL said...

When you said, "Also recommended for those who wants a good “bed” time album", do u mean it's a good album to listen to if you wanna go to sleep or good album to listen to when ure having sex? Hahahahaha! Sorry..It's Friday and I become a bimbo on fridays

TriPPin' said...

oooh! i must chek it out esp. after da Lady Day reference! Have a good weekend...

Red Raven said...

Cosmic – Hmmm… a good question actually. It is up to you…effective for both….use wisely…

TriPPin’ – U should if you dig the great Lady Day. Rugi kalau tak beli…u have a good weekend too

trueblue said...

Ohhhh...I was wondering who sang "Put your records on". Been hearing it a lot on FlyFM and just fell in love with it. There's something about her voice..hard to explain but its soothing to hear. Am definitely a R&B and soul fan.

Thanks for the review. Now I'm excited to hear her other songs.
Gonna get the CD after work!

Freak and Geek said...

hei, love the 1st single.. first time dengar, terus d/l. yeah, i know.. am the pirate in da house! hehehhe

Desparil said...

liverpool vs west ham.

can teddy lead the hammers to victory? the odds are against them but it would be a fairytale ending if he did.