Thursday, March 02, 2006

For You Smudge

“FOR YOU SMUDGE”. That was the words printed on the t-shirt worn by all the United players after thrashing Wigan for the biggest ever margin win in the Carling League Cup Final last night. It was a tribute to Alan Smith, who last week was involved in a horrendous injury and have to be sidelined for up to a year. But after watching the way United played and won the Cup, I guess Smith would be smiling and celebrating like the other United players who were at The Millennium Stadium that night.

Yeah…yeah…I know, it is just the Carling Cup but hey, Liverpool or Arsenal might end up the season with nothing. It is better than going through another trophy less season. Although it may not hamper my support to United, but winning a trophy is always a good thing for any team. I mean, Chelsea won it last year right? Well, on to the review of the game now.


I miss the first 15 minutes of the game because I had to attend my company's party at TSB. Although the party had gone through until 3 am I heard, I made sure I was out of the place by 10.45pm. And to make sure that I do leave, I asked Sherie to send and pick me up. I knew that if I were to drive myself, I would have missed the game. Definitely was not gonna miss the only Cup final United are involved in this season.


When I arrived at the mamak, it was surprisingly full. I mean, if I was going to the mamak with a group of friends to watch the game it would have been hard for us to find a table. Luckily, I was alone and I found a seat just near the big screen but behind a group of guys. So I was trying very hard to watch the game behind one or two heads that ke pt blocking my view. I am not complaining. As long as I can watch the game, I am happy.


It was a surprised seeing Van the Man on the bench because I would have sacrificed Rooney rather than him. Rooney’s luck in front of the goal has not been outstanding coming to the match. 8-9 games without a goal so far if I am not mistaken. But I guess that is why I am a fan who writes about the game rather than managing the team. Fergie sixth sense and master class showed again when Rooney scored two goals and gave himself the first medal with United. A relief for a brilliant young player who said he last won a medal with his school under-12 side in Everton. I believe, he will win more with United and maybe with England this coming World Cup. Saha and Ronaldo completed the scoring for the biggest ever win margin in a League Cup final. Another record in the books for the Red Devils in a triumphant return to Cardiff after last season heart-breaking penalty loss to Arsenal.


Although, I am happy that we will not end the season empty handed like the last one, and bear in mind that one or two other big clubs might not even win anything this season, I do hope that United will still be in the running for the other major cups during the same time next season. The only fight United have in their hand right now is securing that 2nd automatic place in the Champions’ League next season. We are out of the FA Cup, The European Cup and Chelsea looked too damn good to be chased right now. It is kind of weird for a United fan to end their season this early. Luckily we do have to make sure that 2nd spot and that looks like the only highlight we have until next season.


The Mickey Mouse Cup it may be called but winning something is better nothing . We amay want to ask either Liverpool or Arsenal fans by the end of the season if they want our Mickey Mouse Cup to fill their cabinet this season.


Review :


Hero of The Match : All United players for wearing that “For You Smudge” t-shirt and Rooney for his two goals.


Zero of the Match : None I guess.


Moment of the Match:


Team Performance : Manchester United 8/10

Wigan Athletics 6/10


What If : Wigan won?



1. Another season without any trophies…NOOOO!!!!

2. Another season of hoping for a better season

3. Fergie replace maybe?

4. “Fairy Tale Season” will be the news for all major papers

2 comments:

Desparil said...

actually ah.. i would play saha regularly. you can see that when he's in the team, the attacking play is more dangerous and less predictable. .

Red Raven said...

Desparil - i do agree with you. He does tend to be a menace with his speed and style of play but would you actually sacrifice a player such as Ruud who can gurantee you a goal?