Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Edge

I have an interview to attend this Saturday. I am no stranger to interviews but somehow, I am nervous about this one. Sherie’s theory…. I am nervous about it because I really want this job badly. And come to think of it, I do want that job…badly.


There are a lot of benefits if I am to be part of that company. First, it is only about 10 minutes away from where I live now. I can even see it from my apartment. It is that near. And because of the location of the place, comes the 2nd benefit…..my monthly budget for petrol would also decrease significantly. I can even buy a bicycle to ride from my apartment to the office. This will lead to the 3rd benefit….by riding a bike to the office every day, I am actually exercising and there is no need to worry I would exercise less after leaving my current work place. And the best part is, it is a company managing a shopping mall...cool kan?


I can go on and on about the benefits IF I get the job but I know before any of that happens, I need to make sure that I impress the interviewers that day. Sherie have helped me a lot in digging information about the company. A few friends also helped and gave me invaluable information and hopefully it will help me to gain that extra yard against the other candidates.


I still remember my worst ever interview session. It was about 6 or 7 years ago. The interview was with a government agency back in Kuching. I entered the interview room and I was taken aback when I saw 5 people surrounding a lone chair in the middle. I had attended a few other interviews before but damn….5 important looking people surrounding you was kinda intimidating. Maybe that was the purpose they did the interview in such a style….and they succeeded in their attempt. I couldn’t answer any of the questions. I looked like a fool. I was asked the name of the Agricultural Minister…and I just answered I don’t know. I was asked who was the Chairman of board…..and I answered I don’t know. Basically, every single question that was asked…my answer would be I don’t know. It was the longest and humiliating 5 minutes interview I ever attended. Seeing those men chuckling at me and looking at me as if I was retarded….. Well, it is just something I just don’t want to repeat ever again.


I just hope that with all the help I got, I will nail this interview. But there are a few things that are playing in my head. Such as :


1. Would I get a better chance if the interviewer is from an opposite sex or maybe from the same sex but kinda leaning to the other side..u know what I mean?

2. Would they even consider me if the last candidate looks like Jessica Alba or Brad Pitt?

3. Would the interview be a formality when in actual fact they have already someone in mind (such as a family friend, anak sedara ke, kazen ke…u know the drill)?

4. Would my not so young age be a factor?

5. Would they choose me if another candidate is a 1st class degree holder?

6. Would the fact that I have not been doing accounts for the past 8 months be a factor?


So what can I do to add that extra edge over the candidates? What would make me stand out and get the job? What would make me a better asset to a company managing a shopping mall? For those who had done interviews before, tell me, what do u look for in a candidate? What made u choose them over the others?



P/s: Van the Man back in the starting line up and scored again for us against West Ham…… 7 wins in a trot. Glory Glory United

8 comments:

Cosmic_GurL said...

U think u can loose weight working IN a shopping mall issit? If I work in a shopping mall my gaji will finish before middle of the month coz bila sale jer rambang mata nak beli semua barang :p

Good luck in the interview

Freak and Geek said...

dude, dun worry too much.. u'll be juz fine.

act confident (not OTT) and present an impressive resume (little white lie will do, juz dun overdo it) pls.

btw, try to refer oreo's superb entry somewhere last month titled 'aced that interview'.

lastly, good luck!

Desparil said...

err.. your list of questions make it sound as if you're going for some dodgy job. especially no. 1 & 2. hehe.

can't say much except be on time, be presentable, be polite and answer the questions as best as you can.

good luck.

TriPPin' said...

Yeah!Confidence is good... and in sum jobs they actually prefer older candidates bcoz of the discipline factor(or so they thinklah!)... a great smile and a lil dash of personalised honesty here n there... All the Best! :)

Red Raven said...

Cosmic – Well, I think I can….if I get the bike that is. And I am not much of a shopper anyways…u should know that Cosmic. Thanks….u r still gonna help me rite?

F&G – thanks…and will try to read that entry….maybe it will help…thanks again…appreciate it.

Des – hahaha…reading it back, it does sounds like that,,hahahaha. Well, it is not actually. Well, I hope not. Thanks for the tips…and I think I do need all the luck I can get.

TriPPin’ – ermm…what about an old guy who tries to look young…heheheh.a great smile..hmm..have to ask sherie if I have that one. Personalized honesty..hmmm….think I got a dash of that maybe…anyways…thanks for the advise….appreciate it…and let’s hope I do well in the interview.

Angel Eyes said...

gotta agree with all the people here..

it's gud to be a bit early as it will gives the gud impression to the interviewer to you, be presentable, well prepared, be confident with yourselves, dun be scared, humble and polite.. and ask questions to them pls..

(hehe, jz got back from an interview session this mo!)

Hehee

cpj said...

hey! all the best red! it's always best to look at the job description of the position that u've applied for. From there u could anticipate the questions. Show your eagerness to work for them and willingness to learn new things. Be honest n jgn exaggerate byk sgt.. skit2 taper. hihihi.. as u said u have been doing accounts for quite some time.. if they ask u questions related to it and u have problem answering it, just tell them straight out that u're not really sure but will be able to pick it up in no time since u've done it before.

oklah. panjang sgt dah ni. all the best again. don't be too nervous.

Red Raven said...

Angel – I am pretty sure I am not gonna be late…hehehe…cos at least I know exactly how to get to there. Thanks for the tips and advise…and how did ur interview go?

cikPijah – thanks cik pijah… I think I am gonna be a bit more confident now with all the advise I get… and hopefully I can remember it all..hehehehe…and yeah..that is exactly I am concern about, not been doing a/c for almost a year..i might be a bit rusty…

Kaiser – wow….a powerpoint presentation….thanks for the suggestion but I don’t think I can work that in..but it would be darn impressive…hehehehe

I was not able to watch the game….and we are 9 points adrift…maybe…maybe….The Brummies will conjure something up to make it a blue day for The Blues tomorrow?