Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Friendly Speaking


Last Saturday I accompanied my girlfriend to her friends’ Hari Raya open house. I have no complaints about it cos when free foods are on offer, I am there. The only concern that I have is me trying to make a conversation or even small talks. I have to admit and I have mentioned it before too, that my social skills are not something to shout about. So while on the way to the open house, I was actually quietly thinking of my talking points. I know they are gonna ask me which part of Sarawak I am from once they know I’m a Sarawakian. The 2nd question would be how I am fitting in KL. Then it will proceed to where do I live here in KL and where do I work. Once they know I work in a gym, they would ask what kind of work I am doing. Some would just ask if I am a personal trainer and I would answer “I don’t think anyone wants to be train ed if the personal trainer looks like me (referring to my belly)” ….which is an attempt by me to be funny. Then it will all come to a halt…..and I’ll be like looking up above the stars and hoping a comet or superman just stream by so it can be the next talking point.

It is so easy for people who are generally good talkers or communicators to do it. It is damn hard for me. I don’t know why and what is the reason. Maybe because of the way I was brought up. My parents were quite strict on me being the eldest and all. I was not allowed to go to parti es until I was 18 years old and when I was actually in college. But I think most of us face the same thing but that will not make our social skills in the dumpster.

Sometimes because I of my sifat pemalu yang terlampau, people just make the assumption that I am just a snobbish and a proud person which I am not at all. I hate being branded like that. It makes me sad and down because I know I am not. I just need time to be comfortable around new people.

So what does a man at my age needs to do to make friends and what can I do to improve my social skills. I am still figuring out. It is getting harder now to meet people especially being in a new place and a new environment. Trying to adapt to the city itself is a challenge for me but trying to meet new friends, on my own (without my girlfriend help cos so far, all my new friends are her friends) is a mission maybe too impossible for someone like me. I know I need to get over my shyness to be able to make friends but where do I start?

I miss talking about my football stuffs. That is one of the main reason I start blogging. Just a way for me to get it out and also to babble on and on and on about it. And I think it is working. At least I have a channel to get it all out but I guess it will never beat sitting at a kopitiam or a mamak stall and talk about football…the offside goal, the handball, the crunching tackles…..so the main point here is, I need macho adrenaline pumping male bonding…hahahahaha……

Well, for the time being, for all the people who care to read, just enjoy my view about everything….football, life, almost about everything….from my eyes…..

2 comments:

Azrin said...

At last!! A fellow red devil blogger..glad i stumbled on ur blog.

cheers mate.

Red Raven said...

Cheers...Glory Glory United yeah....