Monday, June 12, 2006

Group D-H

I didn’t have time to review Group D to Group H…I am sorry. Work and time didn’t permit me to do so but I think I want to see how accurate am I and does my knowledge about world football can actually help me predict the correct team that will progress to the 2nd round from group D to H. So here goes….

Group D: Portugal will top the group. Too much quality and they have not been beaten under Scolari since that Euro 04 final against Greece. Mexico will accompany them in 2nd place. Angola and Iran might give Mexico a run for their pesos but just not good enough.

Group E: I think this will be a very interesting group. In my opinion, another group of death in this WC edition and will certainly be the most interesting outcome. I think the Czech Republic will be the group champion and Ghana might sneak in above Italy for that 2nd spot. Why don’t I think Italy will make it? Because The Azzuris this time around does not have a quality side to give a good challenge and couple with the bribery controversy back home and also injury to important players like Gattuso and Totti who is still recovering.

Group F: Anyone wanna bet that Brazil will not top this group? Only the brave and crazy will do that I guess. Of course Brazil will samba their way to the top of the group. Australia and Japan had shown in recent friendly matches that they are ready for a battle. Japan might nick that 2nd spot but Australia do have a shout if Kewell is injury free.

Group G: France will top the group. After that disastrous WC 02, the whole squad would want to erase that painful memory. South Korea will be there with France in the 2nd round at 2nd spot. Togo might be a surprise package if they can recover from losing their coach.

Group H: Spain will be the top dog in this group and a Shevchenko inspired Ukraine will accompany them.

Well, that’s my prediction. And to be fair, football is a strange game. You can’t really base the winner of the game on paper…with a bit of luck…with a bit of spirit….anything can happen at the end of the 90 minutes plus injury time.

No comments: